I’ve been asked a few times lately what my palette is, so I thought I’d put a post about it.
(Updated in May of 2014:)
- Titanium white, from either Williamsburg, Old Holland, or Michael Harding.
- Cadmium Yellow from Williamsburg or Michael Harding.
- Zecchi’s Roman Ochre.
- Cadmium Red Light (Vermilion substitute), from Zecchi or Williamsburg.
- Cadmium Red Medium from Williamsburg.
- Cadmium Orange, from Williamsburg.
- Cerulean Blue, Williamsburg, Zecchi, or Old Holland if I’m felling flush.
- Ultramarine Deep from Old Holland.
- Cobalt Blue, either Old Holland or Harding.
Inside I use hand-ground Lead White, and hand-ground Ivory Black for portraits and still life.
Sometimes I glaze my landscapes or portraits with Alizarin, from either Zecchi, Old Holland or Robert Doak.
The palette I started with included Naples Yellow, an earth red (Pozzuoli, English…etc), and Veridian. I have also used high chroma purples for specific projects with irises and such.